Joint Monitoring Committee of the TICAD Process
Posted by African Press International on March 21, 2014
TOKYO, Japan, March 17, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ – 1. The Joint Monitoring Committee of the TICAD Process was held on March 14 (Fri.) at JICA Research Institute. The Committee was chaired by Mr. Yoshifumi Okamura, Director-General for African Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and was attended by representatives of the ministries concerned, government agencies, TICAD co-organizers (the African Union Commission (AUC), the United Nations, the United Nations Development Program, and the World Bank ), the Permanent Representatives Committee of the African Union (PRC), the African Diplomatic Corps, New Partnership for Africa’s Development(NEPAD) , international organizations and NGOs.
2. At this Committee, MOFA Japan and TICAD co-organizers briefed on the preparation for the first TICADV Ministerial Meeting which is scheduled in May 4th and 5th in Cameroon, and outcome documents and the participants exchanged views. Through the Committee, it was agreed that all participants will work together for the success of this upcoming Meeting.
References TICAD Follow-up Mechanism
1. Yokohama Action Plan 2013-2017 sets forth the Three-Tier structure of the Follow-up Mechanism established as follows:
(1) Joint Secretariat: MOFA Japan, African Union Commission, UNOSAA, UNDP and World Bank;
(2) Joint Monitoring Committee composed of Japanese Government and related governmental Organizations, TICAD Co-organizers, Permanent Representatives Committee of the African Union (PRC), African Diplomatic Corps in Tokyo (ADC) and NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, International Organizations and donor countries
(3) Follow-up Meetings
・Annual Senior Officials Meeting
・Annual Ministerial Meeting
・Summit (Every five years)
2. Dialogues between MOFA Japan and the African Diplomatic Corps in Tokyo (ADC) on the TICAD are held regularly.
Japan – Ministry of Foreign Affairs