African Press International (API)

"Daily Online News Channel".

Archive for September 7th, 2009

Killer Ugandan drink popular among Kenyans despite ban – Why is it popular? Because it is handy?

Posted by African Press International on September 7, 2009

By Osinde Obare

A Ugandan drink that has reportedly killed 20 people in a week is a favourite among many in Western and North Rift.

The gin, known locally as waragi, is still being sold in Teso, Busia, Bungoma, Kitale, Webuye and Kakamega towns, despite being banned by Uganda National Bureau of Standards.

Bottled waragi by licensed distillers is still legal in Uganda.

Last week, Ugandas Ministry of Health confirmed 19 deaths due to complications after consuming waragi packed in sachets. One person has became blind due to the methanol content in the alcohol.

A check in most bars in Kitale and other towns along the Kenya-Uganda border, indicates most have stocked Empire waragi, which is among seven brands blacklisted by the Ugandan authorities.

A bar proprietor in Amagoro, Mr Stephen Ojune, said waragi is very popular among his patrons, and wondered what will become of their stock if the Ugandan Government bans all waragi packed in plastic sachets as recommended.

The Ugandan Government has recommended a ban on vending alcohol in plastic sachets. It has also appealed to the public to stop taking alcohol packed in sachets. But most Kenyans say they like the waragi, owing to the ban on changaa, which is illegal here.

Unruly youths

Waragi is most popular in Western and North Rift and is sold at between Sh25 and Sh30 for a sachet, while another popular brand, Viva, goes for as little as Sh5.

And local education officials blame consumption of the gin on high dropout rates and indiscipline among youth.

Last Friday, Ugandan Minister of Health Stephen Mallinga, said in response to the deaths, they had recommended a ban on vending alcohol in plastic sachets.

The Standard learnt the banned brands are smuggled into the country through unofficial routes with the fully knowledge of the police.

Source.standard.ke

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

GUARDIAN BANK CUSTOMERS UP IN ARMS

Posted by African Press International on September 7, 2009


By Jeff Otieno

Customers and staffs at Guardian Bank a cross the country are bitterly protesting with the way the Managing Director Shetty Vasant Krishnakumar is handling them.

The C.E.O who is based in the Nairobi head office is alleged to have borrowed bureaucratic antics which culminated to his unceremonious exit at Prime Bank recently.

According to three Senior Managers who talked to this writer on strict condition of anonymity, shettys high handedness has reached alarming levels with prominent customers who have witnessed his arrogance and bureaucracies resorting to closing their accounts.

These staffs further went the full throttle of alleging that he is one of the worst racists theyve ever seen in the banking industry adding that he has been only promoting cronies of his origin and colour instead of qualifications and sterling record of performance.

Shetty who is ever glued in the internet watching barbaric sites even during working hours is also alleged to have been shown the door at Prime Bank courtesy of his involvement in Triton saga.

Born in 1947 and working on a work permit, Shettys son is also being probed by authorities over claims that his son got a Kenyan citizenship dubiously.

This man has even usurped the powers of branch managers across the country, and they must plead with him to okey a customers cheque of a paltry Kshs.100,000/=, the Managers alleged.

Efforts to get comments from him (Shetty) were fruitless; his mobile phone was off air the better part of the day at the time of going to press.

End.

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

AFRICAN EXPERTS MEET IN LOME TO REDEFINE THE CARBON MARKET

Posted by African Press International on September 7, 2009


Story : Blame Ekoue, Lom

Since the adoption of Kyotos protocol to fight against the canker of pollution leading to a drastic climate change, the market of Carbon has boomed.

The carbon market that was mostly increased in the western world has now make it way in Africa.

But to enhance the chance of the continent which it is more touched by the climate change, experts of African countries will hold a meeting of minds in the Togolese capital of Lome on the 7th of September 2009 at Hotel Eda-Oba.

Under the theme The Stake of the Copenhague and Forest Carbon Credit , this brainstorming meeting will couple with the launching of African Carbon Credit Market .

It will be recalled the challenge of Copenhague meeting aimed at reducing the greenhouse gas such carbon dioxide which negatively impacted on the environment through climate change resulting to high tide, wild forest fire, and heavy rainfall.

The mechanism applied to enhance the absorption capacity of the environment of the greenhouse gas in order to reduce the pollution it is to adopt a new strategic aiming at covering some unvalued soil with straw and agricultural waste.

In Zambia, a cluster from Kikundi has signed a contract of greenhouse gas reduction with a British company in order to adopt this new strategic.

By doing so many companies in the western world will contribute favourably to the reduction of the greenhouse gas they emit in their production activities in the environment.

But contract must be well conducted and elaborated for the sake of interest of the farmers or foresters.

The launching of the African Carbon Credit Market by AAEG will contribute to broaden this new market concept as well as enhance the economic income for the continent.

The launching ceremony will be attended by eminent personalities and lecturers like the Togolese Minister of Environment Kossivi Ayikoe, Ajavon Ayit-Lo , a Lom University Lecturer , and many other experts from the continent.

It will be recalled that the signatories of the Kyoto protocol have engaged themselves to reduce the greenhouse gas emission by the rate of 5.2 per cent at the end of 2012.

End

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

Congo (DRC): Rebel force’s website shut down

Posted by African Press International on September 7, 2009

Kigali (Rwanda) – A British web-hosting firm Tuesday shut down internet and computer servers dedicated to a Hutu rebel force partially responsible for the 1994 Rwandan genocide, media has reported.

According to reports in both Germany and Rwanda, an investigation and letters sent by a German newspaper to a web-hosting service that published the website of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) led to a suspension of services.

It is the latest and most varied strike against the rebel group that is considered a terrorist organisation in Rwanda as well as the United States of America.

The website, http://www.FDLR.org, said on Wednesday that its servers would be down for a week due to maintenance.

The FDLR is a rebel force occupying pockets of eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, across from Rwanda, but the rebel leadership lives in Germany.

The closure was first announced by German online newspaper TAZ, and the news was then republished in Rwandas pro-government daily The New Times.

They have built in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a state within a state, heated the endless wars, said TAZs Africa editor Dominic Johnson.

Now, a simple enough request by TAZ on the server that maintains the FDLR page on the internet to take the website of the organisation from the net.

In the war over history, ethnic narrative and political control, words have been a deadly weapon and the web a used tool for the Hutu rebels.

As rebel spokespersons and military officers have routinely capitulated to Rwanda, fled, and swapped cell-phone SIM cards, the internet has become the FDLRs conduit of communication. The website was updated almost daily with press releases, reports, and historical documents.

For an ethnically-tinged genocidal rebel group, the website was a rare source of legitimacy.

source. The Nation.ke

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

South Africa: Ministers stonewall arms-deal questions

Posted by African Press International on September 7, 2009

Cape Town (South Africa) The government rolled out the heavy artillery yesterday in the form of three senior ministers to stonewall questions about allegedly dodgy arms deals in Parliament’s defence committee.

The head of the National Conventional Arms Control Committee (NCACC), Justice Minister Jeff Radebe , was joined by State Security Minister Siyabonga Cwele and Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa in briefing the committee on SA’s arms deals, but they refused to answer questions of detail.

When Democratic Alliance (DA) MP David Maynier, who recently went public with reports that SA had approved weapons transactions with some of the world’s most repressive states, tried to ask detailed questions about pending sales of sniper rifles to Syria and ammunition to Zimbabwe, Radebe told him that was not what he had been asked for.

Radebe said that the letter from African National Congress (ANC) committee chairman Mnyamezeli Booi had asked for an overview and for the tabling of the 2008 report. He said the committee would be brought up to speed on the pending deals in a later report. Radebe told reporters after the meeting that he had done what he was asked to do, and was not refusing to divulge information.

Maynier, however, had a different view, saying he believed the oversimplified agenda was designed to allow an escape route for the NCACC. The DA believed Radebe “deliberately covered up embarrassing details about dodgy arms deals” to some of the most repressive regimes in the world.

“The minister had a choice: to open up or to cover up. It is a great pity that he chose to cover up. The minister refused to respond to any of the questions about the dodgy arms deals on the grounds that he was not prepared,” he said.

The DA has alleged SA sold Libya glide bombs that could deliver nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, and provided multiple grenade launchers to Libya, Syria and Venezuela.

“The public have a right to know how it was that we sold, attempted to sell or demonstrated and exhibited conventional arms in states such as Iran, Libya, Syria, North Korea and Zimbabwe, despite legislation aimed at ensuring that we do not trade in conventional arms with states engaged in repression, aggression and terrorism. The minister appears to be trying to hide this information from the public.”

Radebe revealed that SA last year sold arms worth R5,8bn to countries including Iraq, Pakistan, Sudan and Saudi Arabia, but gave no breakdown of the categories of weapons they received.

The ANC went on the offensive with chief whip Mathole Motshekga saying legal opinion was that Maynier broke the law by going public with classified material, and he could face criminal prosecution.

“Parliament’s legal opinion agrees with our interpretation of the act that not only was Maynier in possession of illegally obtained classified information, but he also had no authorisation to disclose such information to the public.

“The legal opinion also noted that while members of Parliament are protected against civil or criminal proceedings, arrest or imprisonment for anything revealed in the National Assembly or any of its committees, this is not applicable in Maynier’s case as he disclosed the information during a media briefing. This renders him liable to criminal prosecution.”

DA chief whip Ian Davidson said the ANC was simply trying to intimidate Maynier and stop him from exercising his oversight function in the committee. With Sapa

Source. Business Day – South Africa

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

 
%d bloggers like this: