African Press International (API)

"Daily Online News Channel".

Archive for August 13th, 2007

Norway: Police smile as violent crime in the capital has decreased by more than 20 percent since last year

Posted by African Press International on August 13, 2007

Police smile as violent crime in the capital has decreased by more than 20 percent since last year. The trend is similar in most Norwegian cities, and it’s not only due to bad weather, police say.

Few of Oslo’s police officers can remember a summer quieter than this one.

PHOTO: INGAR STORFJELL

Few of Oslo’s police officers can remember a summer quieter than this. And that cannot be attributed to bad memory: Reported violent crime in the capital has actually decreased by 21,8 percent since last year.

Police officers think that the quiet summer is the result of more than the cool and rainy July. The ongoing conflict between the nation’s two most violent gangs, known as the A and B gangs, has been remarkably absent this summer, after many violent incidents and police arrests last year.

Additionally, professional robbers might have been put off by the successful investigation and trial in the aftermath of the so-called NOKAS robbery in 2004, police claim.

Moreover, there have been no more reported brutal rapes after police this spring arrested several men in connection with a series of rapes last winter.

“We are one step closer to harmony,” commented chief constable Anstein Gjengedal.

A similar trend of harmony is noticed in most other Norwegian cities. In the northern city of Troms, chief constable Truls Fyhn said, “Is has been surprisingly quiet for a surprisingly long time. This is also true for the summer months.”

In the city of Trondheim, however, the situation is different, with a 25 percent increase in violent crimes so far this year.

By Kristin Solberg and Arild Jonassen

Lifted and published by Korir, africanpress@chello.no tel +47 932 99 739 or +47 6300 2525 source.aftenposteneng

Advertisements

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Norway: Paramedics and police refused to take seriously injured Ali (an African) to hospital after he was beaten up by another African in a park in Oslo

Posted by African Press International on August 13, 2007

Paramedics refused to take seriously injured Ali (an African) to hospital after he was beaten up in a park in Oslo by another African, allegedly because he had wet his trousers. Ali’s family now fear that he will suffer permanent brain damage. “This would never happen to a white man,” lawyer Abid Q. Raja says.

Girlfriend Kohinoor Nordberg and several shocked witnesses watched as paramedics and police allegedly refused to help Ali.

PHOTO: CAROLINE DREFVELIN


The ambulance left without the seriously injured man.

PHOTO: CAROLINE DREFVELIN


Ali now risks permanent brain damage.

PHOTO: CAROLINE DREFVELIN

Oslo hospital Ullevl universitetssykehus launched an internal investigation Tuesday, after a 37-year-old seriously injured man was refused entry into the ambulance. The man, known as Ali, was badly beat up in a park in Oslo Monday afternoon, but paramedics wanted nothing to do with him after he accidentally wet his trousers, according to witnesses.

“This would never happen to a white man,” said prominent lawyer Abid Q. Raja, representing Ali and his family.

Ali was enjoying the sunshine in the park with his girlfriend Kohinoor Norberg Monday afternoon, when he was badly beat up by another man. Witnesses told how Ali fell to the ground with his head first, and was unconscious for several minutes. Shocked witnesses called both the ambulance and police. When the paramedics arrived, however, Ali had accidentally wet his trousers. Hazy, Ali, having gained conscience, stood up and wet his trousers for a second time, according to witnesses.

Witness Caroline Drefvelin was shocked by the paramedics’ behaviour.

“The blood was running form his head, and he seemed very groggy. When he peed by the ambulance, one of the paramedics said ‘You f…ing pig’, and then they refused to take him with them,” she told Aftenposten.no.

Police stood by, but did not get involved when Ali was refused help, according to Ali’s girlfriend Nordberg. She later took a taxi to the hospital with Ali.

“The paramedics didnt even look at him before they refused to take him with them,” she said.

“Had he been a white woman bleeding in the park, this would not have happened.”

Once in hospital, Ali was in surgery for almost five hours. His family said that doctors have informed them that he might suffer permanent brain damage.

“His injuries are much more serious than we feared. That makes the incident even graver. It is completely incomprehensible how paramedics can leave a man who’s seriously injured,” Nordberg said.

The ambulance personnel in questions have temporarily left their positions, according to the hospital.

“They are not suspended, but it is a way to improve the internal investigation,” said spokesperson Arild stergaard to Aftenposten.no.

By Kristin Solberg and Jostein Ihlebk

Lifted and published by Korir, API*APN africanpress@chello.no tel +47 932 99 739 or +47 6300 2525 source.aftenposteneng

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Norway: Theft will soon hit many Norwegians

Posted by African Press International on August 13, 2007

Up to 60,000 Norwegians have had their personal ID number stolen through the web site of a telecom company, and now risk ID theft, according to Norway’s data inspectorate. Through the home page of telecom company Tele2, someone has stolen the personal ID numbers of between 50,000 and 60,000 Norwegians, according to data inspectorate Datatilsynet.

The personal ID number is an 11 digit number that Norwegians are advised to keep secret. Pieced together with names and addresses, ID numbers can be used for ID theft, such as readdressing of mail or signing up for various expensive services or subscriptions in someone else’s name.

Even the director of Datatilsynet, Georg Apenes, is a victim of the ID number theft. After receiving a new SIM card in the mail, he realised that someone had set up a new mobile phone subscription in his name, according to public broadcaster NRK.

Datatilsynet fears that the ID numbers are stored in a database somewhere, and that they will be used in a large scale ID theft in the future. They advise people who have received a letter from Tele2 to be particularly alert.

“People are angry. They think it is scary that someone has access to their personal ID numbers,” said senior advisor Gunnel Helmers to Aftenposten.

By Kristin Solberg

Lifted and published by Korir, API*APN africanpress@chello.no tel +47 932 99 739 or +47 6300 2525 source.aftenposten

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

Norway: Record compensation in sport

Posted by African Press International on August 13, 2007

Footballer Dagfinn Enerly, whose life was turned upside-down in a 2005 accident, receives NOK 9,5 million in compensation for breaking his neck on the field, the highest ever compensation given to a Norwegian athlete.

Dagfinn Enerly with wife Mona.

PHOTO: STIAN LYSBERG SOLUM / SCANPIX

After breaking his neck in a 2005 accidental collision with a team mate on the field, Fredrikstad player Dagfinn Enerly has been tied to a wheel chair.

Almost two years later, the football star whose life was turned upside-down, has received NOK 9,5 million (about USD 1,6 million), the highest financial compensation ever given to a Norwegian athlete after a sports injury, reports newspaper VG.

Through his lawyer, Enerly said that he was “happy” with the compensation, but that he did not want to comment further on the issue.

Meanwhile, team FFK decided to preserve Enerly’s jersey number eight.

By Kristin Solberg

Lifted and published by Korir, API*APN africanpress@chello.no tel +47 932 99 739 or +47 6300 2525 source.aftenposteneng

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Norway: 20 percent of convicted criminals do not show up for their prison terms

Posted by African Press International on August 13, 2007

20 percent of convicted criminals do not show up for their prison terms, according to the Norwegian Correctional Services. Prison authorities can do little but hope that the criminals will eventually come knocking on the prison door.

It almost sounds like something out of a film, but for the Norwegian Correctional Services (Kriminalomsorgen), the problem is real. 20 percent of convicted criminals simply fail to show up to serve their prison term, according to figures for 2007.

Criminals sentenced to long prison terms are particularly prone to bunking off. Almost every fourth person sentenced to six months or more in prison failed to meet in 2006. The situation is only becoming graver, with a total a 1799 people failing to show up during the whole of last year, compared to as many as 1068 people so far this year.

“Its difficult to make plans for the prison terms when we have no idea who will show up and who won’t,” said Ellinor Houm, director of the Norwegian Correctional Services, section for eastern Norway.

With fewer criminals showing up here than in any other part of Norway, Houm’s in charge of prisons with many empty beds. So far this year, every fourth criminal has not bothered to turn up at the prison gates in eastern Norway.

The dilemma facing the prison authorities is that failure to show up at prison is not yet illegal. Although Parliament has passed new legislation making it a criminal offence to skip prison, the law has not yet been implemented and until it is, prison authorities can do nothing but hope that the criminals will eventually show up at the prison gates.

“Some people just don’t get that it’s better to get the sentence over and done with as soon as possible,” said Houm.

By Kristin Solberg and Eivind Srlie

Lifted and published by Korir, API*APN africanpress@chello.no tel +47 932 99 739 or +47 6300 2525 source.aftenposteneng

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

Portugal to host Europe-Africa summit in December

Posted by African Press International on August 13, 2007

APA-Dakar (Senegal) The Europe-Africa summit billed for December this year will be held in Lisbon, according to the Portuguese ambassador to Dakar, Anootonio Montenegro.

\”Portugal will do everything to ensure the success of the Europe-Africa summit\”, he said.

According to Prime Minister Jose Socrates, Lisbon values the summit, which follows the 2000 Cairo summit, mainly because of its intention to establish a \”structured institutional dialogue\” on which to build a European policy that meets the expectations of the people of both continents.

Portugal is considering focusing its leadership of the European Union Council on building \”new dialogue links\” in order to earn Europe a \”decisive presence\” in the world.

According to Socrates, who has started a series of bilateral summits with countries that share the European concerns, the Darfur crisis is one of the agenda of the council under his leadership.

He said Europe will hold yearly meetings with Africa with an eye to building a common and \”mutually beneficial\” policy.

Sustainable development, peace, fighting endemic diseases and management of migration flows will be the core issues of the summit in December.

Published by Korir, API*APN africanpress@chello.no tel +47 932 99 739 or +47 6300 2525 source.apa

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

Morocco, Polisario Front resume talks on Western Sahara issue

Posted by African Press International on August 13, 2007

Dakar (Senegal) Morocco and the Polisario Front are holding their second round UN-brokered negotiations on Western Sahara on Friday and Saturday in Long Island, United States, APA reports.

The United Nations secretary-generals special envoy, Peter van Walsum, chairs the meeting to solve the 32-year old dispute between the two sides.

The first meeting was held last 18-19 June 2007 in Manhasset, New York.

During the opening ceremony, the UN deputy secretary-general for Political Affairs, B. Lynn Pascoe, stressed the commitment of the United Nations to the Sahara issue.

Representatives from neighbouring countries Algeria, Mauritania who were separately consulted, attended the opening and closing ceremonies of the first meeting.

The Polisario Front rejected a draft Rabat had submitted to the UN before the June meeting.

Meanwhile, the agenda of the first meeting was on broad autonomy for Western Sahara and the setting up of autonomous institutions, i.e. local government, parliament and jurisdiction, among others.

The Algeria-backed Polisario Front demands the independence of the 266,000 sq meters territory through a self-determination referendum.

The United Nations has been seeking to settle the Western Sahara issue since former coloniser Spain withdrew from the territories in 1976.

The withdrawal led to fights between the Polisario Front and Morocco which demanded the reintegration of Western Sahara into its territory.

However, Mauritanian authorities renounced to lay any claim to Western Sahara since 1979.

In the aftermath of the agreements reached by the Moroccan government and the Polisario Front, the UN mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) was deployed in September 1991 to supervise the cease-fire and hold the voting.

Published by Korir, API*APN africanpress@chcello.no +47 932 99 739 or +47 6300 2525. source.apa

Posted in AA > News and News analysis | Leave a Comment »

 
%d bloggers like this: